Monday, June 19, 2006

Sensitivity

The Holy Spirit works in our heart, quiet and unseen, slow and constant. He works in the very foundations of our hearts bringing about a transformation. The Spirit's influence in our lives isn't always easy to see, but it's always present.

At this time I have to remember to pray for heightened sensitivity to the Lord's quiet influence in my heart, and for help to put these many new discoveries into His words to share with others' the gifts of the Holy Spirit.

Too, we are to be ready both in season and out of season:
  • "The Lord GOD hath given me the tongue of the learned, that I should know how to speak a word in season to him that is weary: he wakeneth morning by morning, he wakeneth mine ear to hear as the learned" (Isaiah 50:4, KJV).
  • "Let your speech be alway with grace, seasoned with salt, that ye may know how ye ought to answer every man" (Colossians 4:6, KVJ).
  • "Preach the word; be instant in season, out of season; reprove, rebuke, exhort with all long suffering and doctrine" (2 Timothy 4:2, KJV).

Being ready means knowing scriptures for the Word of God is our credibility upon which we can stand.

Recently in the coursework of my formal studies, I posted a comment in general regarding experiences I have had within the church focusing on the importance of discerning that which is taught and preached. The professor wrote to me and suggested that I use credible resources to back up my posts, theories, etc. At first I became offended by this suggestion as I believe that the eye-witness testimony of the scribes working through the Holy Spirit who wrote the Bible is sufficient resources, better too than religious scholars who were not or ever will be present.

I carried this bitterness through the course at which time I continued in prayer that the Lord change my heart with regards to this situation. I felt so insulted and the public reprimand in front of my fellow peers in the classroom multiplied my humility. During the latter days of the class, as we were winding down our studies into summaries posted in Dialogue, I became aware that although our class was about organizational communication, many of the students posted responses that the class only served to reinforce that which they had already known - stating that they were not changed in any way. This puzzled me as without challenge there is no growth and thus our efforts become futile.

I challenged the students in the forum in the area of honesty by posting a comment concerning whether or not our words and our actions actually balance, for this is the true root of honesty through which integrity is born. It was evident through the posts of many students that their words were merely empty because their actions and attitudes were not in balance. After reading several posts it became clear to me how I could use the humility the instructor posted publically for good! When a fellow student posted that he thought honesty was based upon his desired outcome, I cited several formal references to the meaning of honesty and of truth (referring to the lawful meaning as well) that I found on Answers.com - credible resources that cannot be refuted and were not out of the Bible (he is offended by spiritual matters - possibly an unbeliever or under the influence of deep rooted religious spirits).

This demonstrates and affirms what the Lord says "But as for you, ye thought evil against me; but God meant it unto good, to bring to pass, as it is this day, to save much people alive" (Genesis 50-20, KJV). Their united attempts to discredit my posts through a requirement of sources (not required of other students, I might add), which was not meant for the good of the whole - God was able to turn around and make it good - just as I had asked. This is grace under fire and answers to prayers - testimony and evidence that God remains on the throne as per His promise to His people He will protect us.

I am thankful too that the Holy Spirit revealed this to me and that I was delivered from the bitterness of this root. I know now that in all things especially spiritual, Biblical matters, that I must know the Word and it's source and be able to reflect and call upon it in order to establish credibility. This credibility becomes authority and with the authority comes the power of the Holy Spirit and with this power, comes influence. We can make a difference!

No comments: